Monday 3 September 2007

The Serenity Prayer

For, of course, the previous one leads inevitably to this, used in numerous 12-steps programmes, I'm told. Double again - original by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971) (found here and here).

The Serenity Prayer

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.


And in Spanish,

Oración de la Serenidad

Dios, concédeme la serenidad para aceptar las cosas que no puedo cambiar, el valor para cambiar las cosas que puedo cambiar y la sabiduría para conocer la diferencia; viviendo un día a la vez, disfrutando un momento a la vez; aceptando las adversidades como un camino hacia la paz; pidiendo, como lo hizo Dios, en este mundo pecador tal y como es, y no como me gustaría que fuera; creyendo que Tú harás que todas las cosas estén bien si yo me entrego a Tu voluntad; de modo que pueda ser razonablemente feliz en esta vida e increíblemente feliz Contigo en la siguiente. Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Serenity and i love that theres a prayer named after me.